If you've ever lived in the South, you know that the food down there is different — and absolutely delicious. The cuisine you find in the Southern United States blends African, European, Native American, and other elements to create entrees, salads, stews, and desserts that will have your taste buds doing cartwheels.
If you're visiting the South, all you need to do is go to a nearby restaurant or diner and the menu is sure to be filled with enough southern comfort food to satisfy your every desire. Alternatively, you can learn to make southern cuisine in your own kitchen. That said, while the food isn't difficult to make, it takes a while to master.
If your time is limited, read on to learn about the southern comfort foods you absolutely deserve to eat before you die. If your life passes you by without eating all this food from the South, you will have deprived yourself of some of your life's finest moments
Spaghetti alla carbonara's creamy sauce is simply a thin egg and cheese custard, spiked with pork and black pepper. Try to find pancetta or guanciale (pork cheek cured like pancetta) for a really authentic taste!. Very easy, simple ingredients, great to see the video also. I added a little diced onion with the bacon and seared cubed chicken tenderloins with the pasta it tasted just like a nearby restaurant's carbonara. Wasn't too sure about adding the pasta water, but it was a great tip made the sauce just the right consistency! Perfect amount for two people. Thanks for the recipe!. I'm a cooking novice so I was intimidated at first. However, the video and instructions help more than you'll know. I was nervous about the sauce and about the whole prep, but it was really easy to make and beautiful to look at. I served it with some steamed broccoli and it was a hit. The only thing I did different was that I used thick-cut bacon since I'm on a college budget, but I thought it turned out really well. Apparently so did my family.
The delicous of Chef John's Spaghetti Alla Carbonara is a blend of ingredients : 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste, 2 eggs, 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste, 6 ounces spaghetti, 3 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese, 1 cup reserved pasta water, 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 3 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese, 4 ounces guanciale, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 portion of Chef John's Spaghetti Alla Carbonara contain nutrients 688 calories , 66.1 g, 30.3 g, 984 mg, 36.3 g, 220 mg
1. Cook guanciale with olive oil and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat until almost crisp, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
2. Whisk eggs, 3 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 3 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese, and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
4. Pour reserved pasta water and drained spaghetti into the bacon-pepper mixture; stir to combine.
5. Slowly pour egg mixture into the pasta mixture; cook, stirring constantly until the egg mixture forms a thick sauce, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
6. Stir remaining 3 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and 3 tablespoons Pecorino Romano cheese into the pasta mixture and serve.
An old boyfriend's mother used to cook this for me whenever I ate over. Cheese tortellini are served in a creamy tomato and spinach sauce. I love it!. I thought this was very good. I did not use heavy cream, I used FF milk and used a bit of cornstarch to it so the sauce would thicken slightly. I also used fresh basil. I think that gives the dish a nice bright taste. I will make this again.. My family and I loved this dish...my one year old kept asking for more! It was so simple, and it is delicious. I actually didn't have any cream on hand, but I had everything else, so I just used evaporated milk in place of the cream and it turned out great. I'll definitely make this one again!
The delicous of Spinach Tomato Tortellini is a blend of ingredients : 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1 (16 ounce) package cheese tortellini, 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup chopped fresh spinach, 3/4 cup heavy cream, 3/4 cup milk
1 portion of Spinach Tomato Tortellini contain nutrients 19.7 g, 79 mg, 885 mg, 43.9 g, 400 calories , 14.8 g
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the tortellini, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
2. While you get the tortellini going, combine the tomatoes, spinach, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture begins to bubble.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, milk and cream. Stir this mixture into the saucepan along with the Parmesan cheese. Heat through, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes.
4. Drain the tortellini, but do not rinse, then pour them into the saucepan with the sauce. Stir to coat, and serve.
An authentic Louisiana recipe with a rich and spicy fresh tomato based roux with fresh garlic, bell peppers, celery and onions mixed with crawfish and shrimp. A little time consuming but well worth it!! Serve over steamed rice with hushpuppies and/or crackers on the side.. I made this for my mom on mother's day and it was a huge hit. I subbed butter for half of the oil, other than that followed the recipe exactly. For those havung trouble finding crawfish, they now sell them at walmart in the frozen fish section.. Very good recipe. I was born and raised in Louisiana and this is EXACTLY how they fixed it back home. Thanks for this one!
The delicous of Cajun Crawfish And Shrimp Etouffe is a blend of ingredients : 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 2 stalks celery, diced, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 small green bell pepper, diced, 1 pound crawfish tails, 1/3 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional), 1 medium onion, chopped, 1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined, 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped, 2 tablespoons Louisiana-style hot sauce, 1 cup fish stock
1 portion of Cajun Crawfish And Shrimp Etouffe contain nutrients 264 calories , 9 g, 196 mg, 24.9 g, 956 mg, 14 g
1. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Gradually stir in flour, and stir constantly until the mixture turns 'peanut butter' brown or darker, at least 15 or 20 minutes. I use a large fork with the flat side to the bottom of the pan in a side to side motion. This is your base sauce or 'Roux'. It is very important to stir this constantly. If by chance the roux burns, discard and start over.
2. Once the roux is browned, add the onions, garlic, celery and bell pepper to the skillet, and saute for about 5 minutes to soften. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and fish stock, and season with the seafood seasoning. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Season the sauce with hot pepper sauce and cayenne pepper (if using), and add the crawfish and shrimp. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque.
We're going to use this spicy and delicious New Orleans classic to demonstrate that it is possible to get good results from using waterlogged frozen shrimp, which unfortunately is sometimes the only option. To make them work we've got to use a few tricks. I prefer this with little chunks of browned chicken or pork, actually.. Excellent recipe -- rich sauce that works perfectly with the shrimp. I doubled the non-hot spices and loved the result. I also used fresh garlic and onion (I don't have powder). I used canned diced Hatch chiles. But fresh tomatoes. And I didn't have celery. (Will add it next time, but it was great without it.) Next time, I am going to try chicken -- or a chicken, shrimp, sausage mix. In other words, this is a robust recipe that holds up well to lots of fiddling. And the timings on the steps seemed just about perfect. Easy to follow with a great result!. Amazing! Made this for an early Father's Day Lunch and was told it was outstanding. With the exception of using seafood stock, I made it as listed. I was however surprised at how spicy it was. I literally put two drops of hot sauce in it. After reviewing the recipe on Chef John's blog, I found that this site lists green chili peppers and his site lists sweet (bell) peppers. Next time I'll use a green bell pepper. I personally like the heat but when cooking for others, I try to tame it down. Thanks Chef John!
The delicous of Chef John's Shrimp Etouffee is a blend of ingredients : 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme, 1/3 cup diced onion, 1 dash hot sauce, or more to taste, 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, salt to taste, 3 tablespoons butter, 3/4 teaspoon paprika, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, or as needed, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1/3 cup thinly sliced celery, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 3/4 cups chicken stock, or as needed, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/3 cup diced green bell pepper, 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined, 2 cups cooked rice, or to taste, Spice Blend:, 1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 portion of Chef John's Shrimp Etouffee contain nutrients 424 calories , 1114 mg, 369 mg, 40.8 g, 14.7 g, 30.2 g
1. Whisk paprika, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, and black pepper together in a small bowl.
2. Drain shrimp in a colander for at least 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl lined with paper towels and dry shrimp for about 3 minutes. Remove paper towels from bowl and season shrimp with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon spice blend. Toss to coat shrimp with spice blend.
3. Heat vegetable oil a large heavy skillet over high heat until oil is smoking hot. Cook shrimp in the hot oil without stirring for 1 minute; stir, and cook 1 minute more.
4. Transfer shrimp to a large bowl. Let stand until juice forms in bowl. Strain shrimp juices into chicken stock to total 2 cups, adding more chicken stock if necessary.
5. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat until butter begins to turn tan at the edges. Saute onion, celery, and green pepper in hot butter until softened, about 5 minutes. Pour in remaining spice blend.
6. Sprinkle flour into vegetable mixture and saute until combined, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook until tomato juices begin to brown on bottom of pan, about 3 minutes. Whisk stock into vegetable mixture, stirring until smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened and reduced to a gravy consistency, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Season with salt to taste.
7. Stir shrimp into etouffee sauce; let simmer until shrimp are cooked all the way through and no longer translucent, about 1 minute.
8. Garnish with green onions and a dusting of cayenne pepper. Pour over rice in large, shallow bowls.
Russet potatoes are blended with roasted garlic, butter and milk. This recipe is a standard.. I'm never making regular mashed potatoes again! My family loved these at Thanksgiving dinner. I added another bulb of roasted garlic because we are true garlic-lovers. It was also a hit at the Christmas potluck (regular amount of garlic for that one). Be sure to keep an eye on the garlic because it doesn't look nice in the potatoes if it gets too browned.. This recipe is it!! As per reviews, we roasted the garlic 30 minutes in the oven, and added the oil w/ the garlic. We substituted light sour cream for the milk, and it was perfect!!! Everyone had seconds or thirds at a large family dinner, with lots of other good food they could have had instead! We wondered if we needed to do 2 cloves instead, but this was just right unless you wanted to have garlic with a little potatoes :-) Thank you so much!!
The delicous of Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes is a blend of ingredients : salt and pepper to taste, 1/2 cup milk, 4 tablespoons butter, softened, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and quartered, 1 medium head garlic
1 portion of Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes contain nutrients 23.5 g, 294 mg, 16 mg, 2.8 g, 7.9 g, 172 calories
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Drizzle garlic with olive oil, then wrap in aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop. Stir in butter, milk, salt and pepper.
4. Remove the garlic from the oven, and cut in half. Squeeze the softened cloves into the potatoes. Blend potatoes with an electric mixer until desired consistency is achieved.
This is great as a party appetizer or a full meal. Tasty, full of flavor and good for you. The crunchy crust is what I really like! You can play with the veggie toppings and cheeses for a great meal that is fast and delicious! Our favorite quick meal!. I have been making my own version of these for years, love them! I put the pita in the oven first for about 5 minutes before topping, helps to keep crispy! I take all of the ingredients and mix them together in a bowl then top the pita, keeps everything from falling off. I always add fresh basil, lemon juice, red pepper flake and top after cooking with parmesan! So good!. I made this exactly according to the recipe (probably a first for me). It turned out perfectly. Everyone loved it - even the kids ate it, and didn't even pick off the mushrooms! You really need to pile the spinach on - it will look quite high - but it wilts and condenses a lot. My only suggestion would be to change the name - something like "Grilled Flatbread with Spinach and Feta" has a cooler name that captures the Mediterranean feel of this recipe a lot better :)
The delicous of Spinach And Feta Pita Bake is a blend of ingredients : 1 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, 6 (6 inch) whole wheat pita breads, 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced, 1 (6 ounce) tub sun-dried tomato pesto, 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped, ground black pepper to taste
1 portion of Spinach And Feta Pita Bake contain nutrients 11.6 g, 13 mg, 17.1 g, 41.6 g, 350 calories , 587 mg
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Spread tomato pesto onto one side of each pita bread and place them pesto-side up on a baking sheet. Top pitas with tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, feta cheese, and Parmesan cheese; drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until pita breads are crisp, about 12 minutes. Cut pitas into quarters.
No two spaghetti aglio e olio recipes are alike, but this one is pretty true to the classic method. The key is slowly toasting the garlic slices to a perfect golden-brown in the olive oil. If it's too light, you don't get the full flavor and if it's too dark it gets bitter. My advice? Do it perfectly.. I made this after seeing it cooked on an Italian cooking show the other day. I have to be honest, this is way too oily for me. I think the servings on this recipe are incorrect also. As a lb of pasta is going to feed a minimum of 6 people. Even the bag said serves 8. At least I stretched groceries until the end of the week. Think, I will just stick to pasta with a little butter, similar to what I had growing up. It's basically the same concept. ty. This is so good and so easy! If you watch the video he has you add a half ladle of pasta water to the OO-garlic saute pan. This is important and is missing from the recipe. This stops the garlic from over cooking and getting bitter and it also adds that extra moisture to the sauce. I usually reserve some pasta water 'just in case'. This recipe says it serves 4 but as a side dish ( which I did) it would easily serve 8 or even more. I served this with sauteed green beans with prosciutto and Barber Chicken, Parmesan. (I know, cheating but it was really good!) Enjoy!
The delicous of Spaghetti Aglio E Olio is a blend of ingredients : 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 pound uncooked spaghetti, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste, 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 portion of Spaghetti Aglio E Olio contain nutrients 22.9 g, 355 mg, 34.5 g, 755 calories , 87.4 g, 18 mg
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 12 minutes. Drain and transfer to a pasta bowl.
2. Combine garlic and olive oil in a cold skillet. Cook over medium heat to slowly toast garlic, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low when olive oil begins to bubble. Cook and stir until garlic is golden brown, about another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Stir red pepper flakes, black pepper, and salt into the pasta. Pour in olive oil and garlic, and sprinkle on Italian parsley and half of the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese; stir until combined.
4. Serve pasta topped with the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
This actually uses my breading for Chicken Fried Steak---my husband suggested we try it with chicken breasts, and it was delicious!. De-freaking-licious! I am normally AGAINST frying any of my food but had to try this one after everyone at The Quality Cook raved about it. I used lots of garlic doubled the paprika and used Panko crumbs as opposed to regular breadcrumbs. Also I seperated the flour from the Panko mixture (and seasoned both) then dredged the chicken in the flour followed by the egg and finally the Panko crumbs. I lost very little - if any - of the breading during the frying process (a miracle from my perspective). Loved it - thanks much Tan!!!. Want the most tender, moist fried chicken? Try marinating the chicken for at least 4 hours (if not all day) in buttermilk. Out of this world - great to use buttermilk when soaking raw onions for onion rings too. In order to cut down on the actual frying time, I generally brown my chicken and then place it on a broiler rack and bake it for 45 minutes in a 375 oven. The broiler rack allows alot of the fat to drip off. Line the bottom with foil and spray the rack with Pam before placing chicken pieces on top, clean up is a breeze. I too like a bit of dill in my chicken coating and I use ordinary flour instead of bread crumbs. I also add a generous portion of Lawry's salt, but you can also use Lemon Pepper if you are watching your salt intake.
The delicous of Garlic Chicken Fried Chicken is a blend of ingredients : 1 cup oil for frying, or as needed, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 egg, ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs, ½ cup milk, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded thin, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, or to taste
1 portion of Garlic Chicken Fried Chicken contain nutrients 32.8 g, 2.1 g, 116.2 mg, 37.3 g, 390.9 calories, , 11.4 g, 2.9 g, , 935.1 mg, 2.5 g, , NutritionInformation
1. In a shallow dish, mix together the garlic powder, pepper, salt, paprika, bread crumbs and flour. In a separate dish, whisk together the milk and egg.
2. Heat the oil in an electric skillet set to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Dip the chicken into the egg and milk, then dredge in the dry ingredients until evenly coated.
3. Fry chicken in the hot oil for about 5 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Remove from the oil with a slotted spatula, and serve.
This recipe was passed down to me from my great aunt, it is easy, authentic and delicious! The secret to making these gnocchi is to dry the ingredients as much as you can before using. Let the ricotta drain of excess water by placing it in a strainer over a bowl and leaving it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before using.. This is a really heavy meal so be sure to have your antacids handy. The Gnocchi was awesome however the sauce was too cheesey. Next time I'd only add more tomatoes but only about 1/2 the mozzarella (4oz). I used part skim ricotta and 2 instead of 3 Tbs. of oil to cut down on the fat.. The first time I ever made Gnocchi, like many others. This could have cooked 4 to 5 minutes without damaging them, and the quick 1 to 2 minutes was not enough to cook the flour dough. Shook my boots with the garlic powder: YUM! I soaked this in the sauce for a day before serving. HEAVEN. Too much black pepper for many people. Halve it if you are uncertain.
The delicous of Ricotta Gnocchi is a blend of ingredients : Sauce:, Salt and pepper to taste, 1 (15.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 (8 ounce) container ricotta cheese, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small chunks, 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes (optional), Gnocchi:, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 1 cup all-purpose flour, or as needed, 6 basil leaves, finely shredded, 2 eggs
1 portion of Ricotta Gnocchi contain nutrients 26 g, 906 mg, 131 mg, 442 calories , 27.1 g, 22.4 g
1. Stir together the ricotta cheese, eggs, Parmesan Cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a large bowl until evenly combined. Mix in 1 cup of flour. Add additional flour if needed to form a soft dough.
2. Divide the dough into 3 or 4 pieces, and roll into 1/2-inch-thick ropes on a floured surface. Cut each rope into 1-inch pieces, and place on a lightly floured baking sheet. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
3. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic, and cook until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute. Pour in diced tomatoes and red pepper flakes; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in shredded basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. While sauce is simmering, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Boil the gnocchi until they float to the surface, 1 to 2 minutes, then drain.
5. To assemble the dish, stir the cubed mozzarella cheese into the sauce and allow the heat of the sauce to soften, but not melt the cheese. Place gnocchi into a serving bowl, and spoon sauce overtop.
This classic Italian-American comfort food works with any kind of sausage, but I like the fennel and anise flavors of sweet Italian sausage with the beans--it's a hearty soup that's fast and easy to put together.. I wish I could give this 10 stars! Absolutely LOVE it! My changes were spinach in lieu of swiss chard, ditalini in lieu of elbow and added more broth (used 32 oz.).. First time ever making soup...think I overdid it with the Sausage. Instead of using two links, I used four. My family said it wasn't salty, but I had to use extra broth and water to off-set the Sausage because I thought it would be too salty. I overcooked the elbow noodles so they were pretty mushy by the time I served the dish. I also used spinach instead of what was recommended. I think next time I stick with the recipe exactly as written. One thing I highly recommend to people like me who are just starting to cook, prepare veggies and things that go into the soup ahead of time before combining them. I threw the sausage into the oil like the recipe called, but I had to ask my Son-in-Law to cut the onion and celery because I was too busy breaking up the sausage in the pan. As time goes on I'll get better in my preparation. This was a "live and learn" experiment.
The delicous of Pasta Fazool (Pasta E Fagioli) is a blend of ingredients : 3 cups chicken broth, or more as needed, divided, 3 cups chopped Swiss chard, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste, 1 stalk celery, diced, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 3/4 cup dry elbow macaroni, Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus additional for serving, or to taste, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/2 yellow onion, chopped, 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained, 12 ounces sweet bulk Italian sausage
1 portion of Pasta Fazool (Pasta E Fagioli) contain nutrients 43.8 g, 77.3 g, 43.8 g, 4200 mg, 888 calories , 84 mg
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown sausage while breaking it into small pieces, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add diced celery and chopped onion. Cook until onions are translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add dry pasta. Cook and stir 2 minutes.
2. Stir in tomato paste until evenly distributed, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 3 cups broth. Raise heat to high and bring to a simmer. Add salt, black pepper, pepper flakes, and oregano. When soup comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and let it simmer about 5 minutes, stirring often. Check soup consistency and add more broth, if needed.
3. Place chopped chard in a bowl. Cover with cold water and rinse the leaves; any grit will fall to the bottom of the bowl. Transfer chard to colander to drain briefly; add to soup. Cook and stir until leaves wilt, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stir in white beans; continue cooking and stirring until pasta is perfectly cooked, another 4 or 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in grated cheese. Serve topped with grated cheese, if desired.
This recipe was given to me by my aunt, who lives in Atlanta, Georgia. It tastes wonderful with your garden vegetables.. Like everyone, I made changes to suit my own style and ingredients, but the basic recipe here is a wonderful canvas to build on. It was wonderful. My changes---I used a pint jar of tomato sauce (home canned) in place of the diced tomatoes, sausage cheese torteloni in place of ravioli because that's what I had on hand, added mushrooms, used fresh parsley and pesto concentrate from a tube instead of dried because dried parsley and dried basil are about the most useless and flavorless dried herbs there are, and I added a little bit of grated parmesan to the mozzarella just because I wanted to finish up the bit I had.. Hubby thought this was great I thought it was all-right! Lots of good veggies, maybe a spicier ravioli would help perk it up something with sausage maybe!
The delicous of Ratatouille Bake is a blend of ingredients : 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 cups peeled and diced eggplant, 5 cloves garlic, minced, 1 onion, chopped, 1 green bell pepper, chopped, 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, 1 (8 ounce) package frozen cheese ravioli, 2 cups chopped zucchini, 1 tablespoon dried basil, 1 tablespoon dried parsley, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 portion of Ratatouille Bake contain nutrients 188 calories , 9.7 g, 7.6 g, 24 mg, 449 mg, 22 g
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C); spray a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir the garlic, onion, and eggplant with the garlic until the vegetables have begun to soften, about 8 minutes. Stir in the zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes, basil, parsley, salt, and black pepper; bring the mixture to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Cook the frozen ravioli as directed on the package; drain. Spread the cooked ravioli in a layer into the bottom of the prepared baking dish; spoon the hot vegetables over the ravioli. Sprinkle with the cheese.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until the casserole is bubbling and the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
This soup is so hearty and comforting, you'll almost forget how good it is for you. And it's perfect for cold weather with the spicy sausage, kale, potatoes, and plenty of chicken broth.. I’m one who never follows a recipe. I did everything it asked me to but, had to add pepper, and ground cumin. This was Very good. Looking for leftovers. Next time I would add a can of Rotel. Just for tomatoes and a little kick, and maybe some dice carrots and peas. I would definitely make again as is but with a few added things.. I broke with tradition and substituted cauliflower for the potatoes, which also imparted a nice creamy texture to the soup. My family honestly could not tell the difference and the transformed recipe was more in compliance with the diet we’re on! Tasted wonderful.
The delicous of Caldo Verde (Portuguese Sausage Kale Soup) is a blend of ingredients : 1 pinch salt, 2 teaspoons salt, plus more as needed, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 onion, finely diced, 12 ounces linguica sausage, sliced, 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional), 2 quarts chicken broth or water, 2 pounds kale - trimmed, chopped, rinsed, drained, 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
1 portion of Caldo Verde (Portuguese Sausage Kale Soup) contain nutrients 25.6 g, 565 calories , 2851 mg, 62.1 g, 25.1 g, 56 mg
1. Slice sausage into 1/4-inch rounds. Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and saute until sausage begins to turn brown and renders some fat, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a dish. Reduce heat to medium-low; add onions and pinch of salt salt. Stir and cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Transfer potatoes to pot. Sprinkle in 2 teaspoons salt. Pour in chicken broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. When potatoes are tender, carefully mash them in the broth with a potato masher until broken up or completely mashed. Add kale, a handful at a time. Transfer browned sausage to soup. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until greens are tender, about 45 minutes.
I've been using this recipe for over 20 years, ever since I moved to South Carolina. It can be adjusted to serve any number. Allow 2 tablespoons of seasoning per quart of water. If you cannot find hot smoked sausage, use another smoked sausage such as kielbasa and add crushed hot red pepper to the pot.. Nice! I cut this recipe as follows to serve four: 3 quarts of water just under ¼ cup Old Bay 1+ lb potatoes 1 lb andouille-style chicken sausage 4 ears of fresh corn 1 lb jumbo shrimp. I cooked the corn in advance, in another pot. At the end, I turned off the heat, added the (already cooked/frozen) shrimp and just let it heat through for the last 5 minutes. I had no idea what to expect with so few ingredients – the results were amazing. I had my parents over for dinner & we all LOVED IT. In a nod to tradition, I used newspaper as a tablecloth (but we ate out of bowls and I ate with my fingers). A fun evening!. I'm definitely the minority on this one... But I didn't think there was much to this stew. Once drained, it pretty much tasted like I just threw together the potatoes, sausage, corn and shrimp. I didn't find the old bay seasoning to add much to the flavor and therefore didn't find this impressive. Sorry!
The delicous of Frogmore Stew is a blend of ingredients : 2 pounds new red potatoes, 6 quarts water, 3/4 cup Old Bay Seasoning TM, 4 pounds large fresh shrimp, unpeeled, 2 pounds hot smoked sausage links, cut into 2 inch pieces, 12 ears corn - husked, cleaned and quartered
1 portion of Frogmore Stew contain nutrients 39.1 g, 299 mg, 2733 mg, 15.5 g, 52.6 g, 499 calories
1. Bring water and Old Bay Seasoning to boil in a large stockpot.
2. Add potatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Add sausage and cook for 5 minutes more. Add corn and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes. Drain immediately and serve.
The thickest, most wonderful Brunswick Stew you've ever had. Those of you who've never had Brunswick Stew will just die.... If you've had it before, you won't believe it. Old family recipe and the best stew around!!!. Aw shucks! It didn't get me a husband! I really prefer using beef pork and chicken cubes rather than the ground and shredded meat. I often adapt this to my slow cooker.. I have made this recipe twice now...once for just my family, the second time for a large crowd. Both times received raved reviews. Here are the changes I made: The first time for just the family I cut the recipe in half, replaced all the meats with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, did not saute the onions or celery, used one can of Rotel and one smaller can of diced tomatoes and put it all in the crock pot and cooked on low for 8 hours. About an hour before dinner I took out the chicken, shredded it, returned it to the pot and added 1 cup frozen corn, one can cream style corn and 1 cup each frozen okra slices and baby limas. My 14 year old said, "Mom, this is the best stew we've ever had!" When I made it for a large group (60 people) I tripled the recipe and replaced the meats with a pre-cooked sliced brisket that I chopped up, again used a mixture of Rotel and canned diced tomatoes and added more of the extra vegetables at the end as before. It was an all-out hit. Everyone loved the slight sweetness that the barbeque sauce gave it. (I used Kraft Hickory Smoked.) Thanks for a great recipe!
The delicous of Get A Husband Brunswick Stew is a blend of ingredients : 3 (14.75 ounce) cans cream style corn, 1 (3 pound) whole cooked chicken, deboned and shredded, ½ cup hickory flavored barbeque sauce, 2 stalks celery, chopped, 3 (14.5 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped, 1 tablespoon olive oil, hot sauce to taste (optional), 1 ½ pounds ground beef, 1 green bell pepper, salt and pepper to taste, 1 cup ketchup, 1 ½ pounds ground pork, 1 cup chopped onions
1 portion of Get A Husband Brunswick Stew contain nutrients 836 mg, , 380 calories, 11 g, , 18.8 g, 25.3 g, 28.5 g, NutritionInformation, , 2.1 g, 6.2 g, 90 mg
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, and saute the onions and celery until soft. Mix in the pork and beef, and cook until evenly browned. Do not drain.
2. Transfer the pork and beef mixture to a large stock pot over low heat. Stir in the shredded chicken, tomatoes and their liquid, ketchup, and barbeque sauce. Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Place the whole green pepper into the mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2 hours, or until thickened.
3. Stir the cream style corn into the stew mixture. Continue cooking 1 hour, or to desired consistency. Remove the green pepper; chop and return to the stew or discard.