The maltiness of dark beer really does amazing things for this gravy. It's a very simple dish, but at the same time it has a deep, complex, rich flavor. I served this in a nice ring of green onion-mashed potatoes. I hope you give this a try, whether for St. Patrick's Day or anytime of the year.. This stew has a great flavor, don't be afraid to use Guiness. It will not be bitter, even if you omit the sugar like I did. I used only one pot: rendered the bacon-removed it dredged 3.75 lbs. beef in flour (with salt and pepper) browned it-removed it cooked the onions and garlic deglazed with Guiness added 26 oz. of beef stock (instead of chicken stock) tomato paste, thyme, and vegetables put the beef and bacon back in simmered for 2 hours and then used a gravy separator and some corn starch to thicken the gravy (made 4.5 cups gravy). Go easy on the salt, there is enough in the beef stock. Served it just like in the picture!. Made his last night for friends, cooked everything in my moms 50 year old cast iron Dutch oven, started on the stove then moved it into the oven on 300 then 250 for three hours. Paired with a nice Cabernet sav , some irish soda bread, some champs (mashed potatoe w butter and scallions) and followed with Eton Mess and a Warm Hug hot chocolate w irish liquor ) some irish music in background, we could've been there. Cooked for 10, and 8 of us left, not a spoonful left as everyone had heaping seconds.
The delicous of Beef And Guinness® Stew is a blend of ingredients : 1 teaspoon white sugar, 4 cups mashed potatoes (optional), 2 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 2-inch pieces, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces, 4 cloves garlic, minced, 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces, 4 sprigs fresh thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste, freshly ground black pepper to taste, 2 onions, coarsely chopped, 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, or as needed to cover, 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces, 1 (14.9 ounce) can dark beer (such as Guinness®), 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste, 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 portion of Beef And Guinness® Stew contain nutrients 42.1 g, 29.4 g, 96 mg, 528 calories , 1605 mg, 24.6 g
1. Cook and stir bacon in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until bacon is browned and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn off heat and transfer bacon into a large stew pot, reserving bacon fat in the skillet.
2. Season beef chuck cubes generously with 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste. Turn heat to high under skillet and sear beef pieces in the hot fat on both sides until browned, about 5 minutes. Place beef in stew pot with bacon, leaving fat in skillet. Turn heat down to medium; cook and stir onions in the retained fat in the skillet until lightly browned, 5 to 8 minutes; season with a large pinch of salt.
3. Cook garlic with onions until soft, about 1 minute; pour beer into skillet and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up and dissolving any browned bits of food into the liquid. Pour cooking liquid from skillet into the stew pot. Stir in tomato paste, thyme sprigs, carrots, celery, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and enough chicken broth to cover.
4. Bring stew to a gentle simmer, stirring to combine; reduce heat to low and cover pot. Simmer stew until beef is fork-tender, about 2 hours. Stir stew occasionally and skim fat or foam if desired.
5. Remove cover and raise heat to medium-high. Bring stew to a low boil and cook until stew has slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and discard thyme sprigs and adjust salt and pepper to taste.
6. Arrange mashed potatoes in a ring in a serving bowl; ladle stew into the center of the potatoes.
I am going to give you my gumbo recipe. I learned to cook from my mother and grandmother who were born and raised in New Orleans and really knew how to cook. Most of the time, you could not get them to write down their recipes because they used a 'pinch' of this and 'just enough of that' and 'two fingers of water,' and so on. This recipe is a combination of both of their recipes which I have added to over the years. Serve over hot cooked rice. The gumbo can be frozen or refrigerated and many people like it better the next day. Bon appetit!. Great recipe! I'm from the South and my family always makes gumbo without tomatoes. I was looking for a different recipe and am glad I found this one. It's delicious! A note about making a roux - stop working so hard! You can make it in the oven and it is perfection - thanks Alton Brown. Whisk 4 oz all purpose flour and 4 oz veg oil in a cast iron skillet, place in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours, stirring every half hour. It comes out nice and dark and DOES NOT BURN!!! Once you remove the roux from the oven, follow the recipe directions by adding the celery, bell pepper, etc. and continue with the recipe. You're welcome. ;~) Oh, and those who are shaming the person who submitted the recipe for giving away a family recipe, get over yourselves! The submitter never says it was a secret family recipe, just that it was never written down. We all share recipes our families love, and I am thankful this gumbo recipe was shared!. My family's favorite gumbo. It's fabulous over rice, but if you add two or three cups of water you've got the best thick soup type gumbo you'll ever taste.
The delicous of Good New Orleans Creole Gumbo is a blend of ingredients : 1 cup coarsely chopped celery, 1 pound lump crabmeat, 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce, 6 cubes beef bouillon, 1 large onion, coarsely chopped, 1 tablespoon white sugar, 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar, 2 tablespoons bacon drippings, 2 teaspoons gumbo file powder, 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, 3 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen cut okra, thawed, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 2 teaspoons gumbo file powder, ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves, 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®), or to taste, 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped, 4 eaches bay leaves, ¾ cup bacon drippings, 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced, 1 pinch salt to taste, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 cup all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend (such as Tony Chachere's®), or to taste, 3 quarts water
1 portion of Good New Orleans Creole Gumbo contain nutrients 283.1 calories, , 142.6 mg, 20.9 g, , 2.8 g, 5.9 g, NutritionInformation, 853.1 mg, , 12.1 g, 16.6 g, 1.8 g
1. Make a roux by whisking the flour and 3/4 cup bacon drippings together in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat to form a smooth mixture. Cook the roux, whisking constantly, until it turns a rich mahogany brown color. This can take 20 to 30 minutes; watch heat carefully and whisk constantly or roux will burn. Remove from heat; continue whisking until mixture stops cooking.
2. Place the celery, onion, green bell pepper, and garlic into the work bowl of a food processor, and pulse until the vegetables are very finely chopped. Stir the vegetables into the roux, and mix in the sausage. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
3. Bring the water and beef bouillon cubes to a boil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. Stir until the bouillon cubes dissolve, and whisk the roux mixture into the boiling water. Reduce heat to a simmer, and mix in the sugar, salt, hot pepper sauce, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Simmer the soup over low heat for 1 hour; mix in 2 teaspoons of file gumbo powder at the 45-minute mark.
4. Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings in a skillet, and cook the okra with vinegar over medium heat for 15 minutes; remove okra with slotted spoon, and stir into the simmering gumbo. Mix in crabmeat, shrimp, and Worcestershire sauce, and simmer until flavors have blended, 45 more minutes. Just before serving, stir in 2 more teaspoons of file gumbo powder.
This is great as a party appetizer or a full meal. Tasty, full of flavor and good for you. The crunchy crust is what I really like! You can play with the veggie toppings and cheeses for a great meal that is fast and delicious! Our favorite quick meal!. I have been making variations on this for years. Great with plain pesto I use sundried tomatoes which are great, and often add artichokes and sweet red peppers too. It's so quick and easy and always a hit, both as a meal and as an appetizer. You can also make it with a tortilla base. It helps to bake the base a few minutes before putting on the toppings.. We didn't have roasted tomato pesto, so we substituted regular pesto for it, and added bottled roasted tomatoes and it still came out great. Excellent recipe and very easy to make.
The delicous of Spinach And Feta Pita Bake is a blend of ingredients : 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, ground black pepper to taste, 1 (6 ounce) tub sun-dried tomato pesto, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 6 (6 inch) whole wheat pita breads, 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced, 1 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped, 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1 portion of Spinach And Feta Pita Bake contain nutrients 11.6 g, 41.6 g, 350 calories , 587 mg, 17.1 g, 13 mg
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Spread tomato pesto onto one side of each pita bread and place them pesto-side up on a baking sheet. Top pitas with tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, feta cheese, and Parmesan cheese; drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until pita breads are crisp, about 12 minutes. Cut pitas into quarters.
A delicious chicken pie made from scratch with carrots, peas and celery.. The first time I made this I followed the recipe to the letter and thought it tasted great but was too dry. So I doubled the sauce, used a deep dish pie plate, reduced the temp to 375 & baked for 45 minutes. It was perfectly moist without being runny, and the pie shells were perfectly done. Absolutely fabulous! Goes without saying it is a keeper!. This recipe was wonderful! It definately puts the frozen pot pies to shame. I only did one thing differently after reading others reviews saying that the bottom crust was soggy. I beat an egg white and brushed it on the bottom crust before putting in the filling. It worked great! I also brushed it on the top crust as well. It was SO delicious!
The delicous of Chicken Pot Pie IX is a blend of ingredients : ½ cup sliced celery, ⅓ cup butter, 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts, ⅓ cup chopped onion, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed, 1 cup frozen green peas, 1 cup sliced carrots, 1 ¾ cups chicken broth, ⅓ cup all-purpose flour, ⅔ cup milk, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon celery seed
1 portion of Chicken Pot Pie IX contain nutrients 412 calories, 517 mg, 23.9 g, 3.3 g, NutritionInformation, , , 3.2 g, 30.4 g, 54.9 mg, 9.1 g, , 18.4 g
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
2. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
3. In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
There are only two things you need for great lasagna: a thick, rich, super-meaty meat sauce and lots of it, and a ricotta filling where only the finest cheeses are welcomed. For the sauce, I love a combination of half Italian sausage and half lean ground beef. I also like lots of sauce.. Tried chef John's Lasagne tonight it is a really tasty dish, this will be the recipe for us from now on. I have made Chef John's Lasagna two times in the last month and both times it was a huge hit! Don't skimp on the quality of ingredients, it makes all the difference in the world. I would follow this recipe as written the first time, it is fantastic as is, but I know we all like to tweak and make it our own, I do too. Even my 1 year old grandchild was given a little to taste, and he seemed to like it. Thank you Chef John for another incredible recipe!
The delicous of Chef John's Lasagna is a blend of ingredients : 1 teaspoon salt, 1 (8 ounce) container fresh mozzarella cheese, diced, 1 (8 ounce) container fresh mozzarella cheese, diced, 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste, 1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, 2/3 cup freshly shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 2 tablespoons water, plus more as needed, 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef, 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, 1 (8 ounce) package fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped, 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning (optional), 2 eggs, 6 cups prepared marinara sauce, 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 2 pounds whole-milk ricotta cheese
1 portion of Chef John's Lasagna contain nutrients 49.8 g, 159 mg, 730 calories , 39.2 g, 1514 mg, 42.9 g
1. Place sausage and ground beef into a large saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir until meat is browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes. Break the meat apart as it cooks. Stir in mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, Italian herb seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Turn heat to medium-high and cook until mushrooms have given off their juices and bottom of pan is almost dry.
2. Pour prepared marinara sauce into meat mixture. Pour water into marinara sauce jar and shake to get all the sauce out of the jar; add to mixture. Reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is extremely tender, about 2 hours. Add a little more water if sauce becomes too thick. Skim excess fat from surface of the sauce and season with more salt and black pepper, if needed. Turn off heat.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. Beat eggs in a large bowl and stir in ricotta cheese, 8 ounces diced mozzarella cheese, and 2/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Season cheese mixture with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne pepper; mix in parsley.
5. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna in the boiling water, stirring occasionally, until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain and rinse noodles and set aside in a bowl of cold water.
6. Spread 1/4 the sauce into the bottom of a 10x15-inch baking pan. Top with 1/3 the noodles and spread 1/2 the ricotta cheese mixture over noodles. Spread 1/4 the meat sauce over the cheese, top with 1/3 the noodles, and spread remaining 1/2 the ricotta mixture over the noodles. Spread 1/4 the meat sauce over the cheese filling. Tap the casserole dish lightly on a sturdy work surface to settle the layers. Arrange last 1/3 the noodles over sauce and spread remaining 1/4 the sauce over the noodles. Dot top of the casserole with 4 ounces diced fresh mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
7. Cover casserole with aluminum foil, being sure not to touch the top of the casserole with the foil. Place casserole onto a baking sheet to catch spills.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook until lasagna is golden brown and bubbling, 30 to 35 more minutes. Let set for 20 minutes before cutting into squares.
Yummy shrimp in an Alfredo sauce, with portobello mushrooms and red peppers.. I made this recipe for my family and we all LOVED it so much!!! We all agree it is worthy of being on a menu at any wonderful Italian (or any) Restaurant! We added scallops to ours and it was DELICIOUS! I hope more people try this recipe. I printed it out and lost it... I looked through about 100 recipes before I finally found it again. (I was looking for fettuccini) THANK GOODNESS I FOUND IT! IT WILL BE TREASURED!. Absolutely delicious. I modified the recipe a little bit (with apologies to the creator!). I cut out the oil entirely. Used 1/2 of the red pepper and onion. Used button mushrooms. Finally, I used fat free half-and-half in place of the cream. This receipe was OUTSTANDING. Hubby and son said it was as good as anything you would get in a restaurant (and I agreed). There wasn't a scrap left!
The delicous of Peppered Shrimp Alfredo is a blend of ingredients : 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1 onion, diced, 1 (15 ounce) jar Alfredo sauce, 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese, 1/2 cup cream, Salt and pepper to taste, 1/4 cup butter, 12 ounces penne pasta, 1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, diced, 1 red bell pepper, diced
1 portion of Peppered Shrimp Alfredo contain nutrients 50.6 g, 707 calories , 28.4 g, 45 g, 1034 mg, 201 mg
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter together with the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, and cook until softened and translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, red pepper, and mushroom; cook over medium-high heat until soft, about 2 minutes more.
3. Stir in the shrimp, and cook until firm and pink, then pour in Alfredo sauce, Romano cheese, and cream; bring to a simmer stirring constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with cayenne, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir drained pasta into the sauce, and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
This is a great recipe that you can fix to your taste! The longer it simmers the better. Top with crushed tortilla chips and shredded cheese. Enjoy!. Excellent recipe and this is how I make it easier on myself. I use a supermarket rotisserie chicken with the skin removed and shredded off the bone. I saute the garlic and onion in the olive oil and then stir in a little flour to absorb the oil. Then I stir in 2 large containers of good quality chicken stock and add the shredded chicken. I also use the diced tomatoes with the chiles already in them and I double the amount and omit the whole tomatoes and tomato soup. I use a medium salsa that has black beans and corn already in it too. I also hold off on the sour cream and let each person top their own bowl with corn chips sour cream green onions and shredded cheese. Especially good cabin recipe winter or summer. Yum!. Lets make this great recipe even easier. Cook the onions and garlic in a big, thick bottomed pan, add the chicken (chopped small or used cooked chicken that comes in the little pouch).Add dry spices and herbs. When chicken is not pink anymore and the rest of the canned ingredients. 1 can of tomato is plenty, the best corn is of the frozen kind. Top with the sourcream, tortilla chips , cheese or whatever else your heart desires! If this is useful-remember to mark it!
The delicous of Catherine's Spicy Chicken Soup is a blend of ingredients : 2 quarts water, 3 cloves garlic, chopped, 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained, 1 (16 ounce) jar chunky salsa, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, 1 onion, chopped, 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons dried parsley, 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream, 5 cubes chicken bouillon, 3 tablespoons chili powder, 2 (16 ounce) cans chili beans, undrained, 1 tablespoon onion powder
1 portion of Catherine's Spicy Chicken Soup contain nutrients 15.3 g, , 14.5 g, NutritionInformation, 39.6 g, 2436.4 mg, 50.3 g, 5.2 g, 472.6 calories, 81.8 mg, 10.1 g, ,
1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine water, chicken, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, onion powder and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour, or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken, reserve broth. Shred chicken.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in olive oil until slightly browned. Stir in salsa, diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, tomato soup, chili powder, corn, chili beans, sour cream, shredded chicken and 5 cups broth. Simmer 30 minutes.
A comforting baked spaghetti casserole with plenty of melted cheese is the perfect dish for potlucks, family gatherings, or a week-night dinner.. I liked the idea of this. But I did change it a bit. Instead of using spaghetti sauce from a jar, I made my own with meat. I also used both Parmesan and Romano cheeses because that's what my husband likes. Instead of cottage cheese I used ricotta cheese. I didn't see the point of using eggs at all so I skipped them. I liked that it was baked. It really brings out the flavor throughout the entire dish.. I think the picture just doesn't do this recipe justice. I found this recipe the same day I was having family over and desperately searching for a quick, easy recipe. This recipe was perfect. I had a tough crowd and they're pretty opinionated, but everyone LOVED it!!! It was truly delicious. I did make a few minor adjustments. I added 1/4 cup of italian parsley (regular parsley would be great too). I used 1 1/2 jars of spaghetti sauce (the other 1/2 can be used later for a toasted ravioli dinner). And instead of 4 cups mozzarella, I did 2 cups mozzarella and 2 cups italian blend. Based on the picture in this recipe, I was concerned there may be too much cheese and it may taste or look greasy. Not at all. Try it for yourself! :-) Oh - and I don't like cottage cheese myself, but I DID keep it in the recipe. I couldn't taste it and I think it's important to keep in the recipe.
The delicous of Baked Spaghetti is a blend of ingredients : 1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti, 2 cups small curd cottage cheese, divided, 1 onion, chopped, 2 eggs, 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided, 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1 pound ground beef, 1 (32 ounce) jar meatless spaghetti sauce, 5 tablespoons butter, melted, 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 portion of Baked Spaghetti contain nutrients 42.5 g, 61.9 g, 150 mg, 33.6 g, 1250 mg, 728 calories
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook spaghetti in boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 12 minutes. Drain.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir beef and onion until meat is browned and onions are soft and translucent, about 7 minutes. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and seasoned salt.
4. Whisk eggs, Parmesan cheese, and butter in a large bowl. Mix in spaghetti to egg mixture and toss to coat. Place half the spaghetti mixture into baking dish. Top with half the cottage cheese, mozzarella, and meat sauce. Repeat layers. Cover with aluminum foil.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until the cheese is melted and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
This classic Italian-American comfort food works with any kind of sausage, but I like the fennel and anise flavors of sweet Italian sausage with the beans--it's a hearty soup that's fast and easy to put together.. Could eat this once a week. Yummy. Add this to your favorites first thing. I used baby Bok Choy because they didn't have Swiss Chard. It still was still good but probably better if you used the right ingredients which is why I rated it 5 stars, not based on my subpar add ins. I like the video because he explained why you need to do certain things so it doesn't appear as a mistake, like cooking the pasta with the sausage. Which is a must. I had bought Panera's small sourdough bread bowls and made a quick salad. A very tasty and filling meal on a cool Autumn evening. You won't be disappointed. I also added a little Chèvre on top so it doesn't give you that bloated feeling. Seems to really work...
The delicous of Pasta Fazool (Pasta E Fagioli) is a blend of ingredients : 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained, 3 cups chopped Swiss chard, 12 ounces sweet bulk Italian sausage, 3 cups chicken broth, or more as needed, divided, 3/4 cup dry elbow macaroni, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste, 1/4 cup tomato paste, 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus additional for serving, or to taste, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 stalk celery, diced, Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 portion of Pasta Fazool (Pasta E Fagioli) contain nutrients 4200 mg, 84 mg, 888 calories , 77.3 g, 43.8 g, 43.8 g
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown sausage while breaking it into small pieces, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add diced celery and chopped onion. Cook until onions are translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add dry pasta. Cook and stir 2 minutes.
2. Stir in tomato paste until evenly distributed, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 3 cups broth. Raise heat to high and bring to a simmer. Add salt, black pepper, pepper flakes, and oregano. When soup comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and let it simmer about 5 minutes, stirring often. Check soup consistency and add more broth, if needed.
3. Place chopped chard in a bowl. Cover with cold water and rinse the leaves; any grit will fall to the bottom of the bowl. Transfer chard to colander to drain briefly; add to soup. Cook and stir until leaves wilt, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stir in white beans; continue cooking and stirring until pasta is perfectly cooked, another 4 or 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in grated cheese. Serve topped with grated cheese, if desired.
A supremely filling, hearty soup. I serve this on cold rainy days with a loaf of homemade bread. Hint: this is perfect for leftover rotisserie chicken or chicken you've pulled from the bone after making homemade chicken stock! This soup makes great leftovers, but you might want to thin it slightly with skim milk or water when reheating.. Spectacular! Will be making this often during the winter. I hunted high and low for a 4.5 oz package of the quick cooking rice with seasoning. Couldn't find it - had to use a 6.5 oz box with seasoning packet. I cooked the rice separately (didn't add seasoning packet) - it cooked for 25 min. While the rice was cooking I poached the chicken - both took 25 min. so they were finished together. Then I proceeded with the recipe but I left out the 2 cups of water since I was adding cooked rice. (the uncooked rice would have absorbed the 2 cups of water if I had used it). I used the seasoning packet as directed. I did find that 3/4 cup of flour was too much - I was slowly adding it so I was able to stop before it was too late - I used probably about 1/2 cup. Anyway - this was the creamiest, thickest soup I have ever tasted and the flavor was great - oh, I followed the suggestions of other reviewers and sauted some onion, carrots and celery and I am glad I did. It was much thicker the next day so I just thinned it a little with chicken broth - milk would have done the trick too. Thank you so much submitter.. I've made this for years, and it's always excellent. I do now make some modifications to make it more healthy. First, I sautee about 1/2 c. onion with a couple of garlic cloves in a bit of olive oil, and add a 1/2 c. each carrot and celery and sautee it for a couple of minutes until softened before adding the broth, water and chicken. I also use 2 c. skim milk, and cut the butter to 6 tablespoons, and the flour to 1/2 c. It's still thick, creamy and delicious but cuts out a considerable amount of fat and calories, and adding vegetables gives it extra flavor and body. Perfect.
The delicous of Creamy Chicken And Wild Rice Soup is a blend of ingredients : ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, 4 cups chicken broth, 2 cups water, ½ cup butter, 1 (4.5 ounce) package quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet, 2 cups heavy cream, ¾ cup all-purpose flour, 2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, shredded
1 portion of Creamy Chicken And Wild Rice Soup contain nutrients 462.5 calories, 12 g, , 22.6 g, 135.1 mg, 1.1 g, 1 g, 996.9 mg, NutritionInformation, , 36.5 g, 21.7 g,
1. In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water and chicken. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.
2. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully incorporated and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.
3. Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
This recipe will hopefully give you the proper techniques to turn out perfect mashed potatoes every time; always light, fluffy and lump-free.. This recipe could be perfect if the measurement for the potatoes was given in a measurement that isn't subjective. your large may be medium or extra large to someone else, which will change the end product. It should be revised to be by weight or cups.. Thank you to Chef John for making the video. I couldn't figure out why I kept getting starchy water until he explained the method of cutting the potatoes lengthwise vs. cutting into cubes. I ran out of whole milk, so I used buttermilk. Plus, to make them extra creamy, I added 3 tbs. of sour cream. By making those adjustments to the recipe, I'll just say that they were such a hit at thanksgiving dinner, all we had to take home was the container I brought them to dinner in!
The delicous of Chef John's Perfect Mashed Potatoes is a blend of ingredients : 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup whole milk, salt and ground black pepper to taste, 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
1 portion of Chef John's Perfect Mashed Potatoes contain nutrients 6.7 g, 12.7 g, 333 calories , 49.7 g, 34 mg, 30 mg
1. Place the potatoes into a large pot, and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain, and return the potatoes to the pot. Turn heat to high, and allow the potatoes to dry for about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat.
2. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher twice around the pot, then add the butter and milk. Continue to mash until smooth and fluffy. Whisk in the salt and black pepper until evenly distributed, about 15 seconds.
We're going to use this spicy and delicious New Orleans classic to demonstrate that it is possible to get good results from using waterlogged frozen shrimp, which unfortunately is sometimes the only option. To make them work we've got to use a few tricks. I prefer this with little chunks of browned chicken or pork, actually.. Amazing! Made this for an early Father's Day Lunch and was told it was outstanding. With the exception of using seafood stock, I made it as listed. I was however surprised at how spicy it was. I literally put two drops of hot sauce in it. After reviewing the recipe on Chef John's blog, I found that this site lists green chili peppers and his site lists sweet (bell) peppers. Next time I'll use a green bell pepper. I personally like the heat but when cooking for others, I try to tame it down. Thanks Chef John!. Perfect dish. Follow the instructions & you'll produce a meal to rival any restaurant. After making this 3 times for different 'audiences', or became clear it's worthy of a top-spot in my cooking repertoire. Plus it makes you look like a Kitchen Cook Superstar! Thanks a million Chef John!
The delicous of Chef John's Shrimp Etouffee is a blend of ingredients : 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, salt to taste, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 1 dash hot sauce, or more to taste, 3/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/3 cup diced onion, 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined, 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, or as needed, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/3 cup thinly sliced celery, Spice Blend:, 1/4 cup sliced green onions, 1/3 cup diced green bell pepper, 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, 1 3/4 cups chicken stock, or as needed, 3 tablespoons butter, 2 cups cooked rice, or to taste, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 portion of Chef John's Shrimp Etouffee contain nutrients 1114 mg, 369 mg, 40.8 g, 30.2 g, 14.7 g, 424 calories
1. Whisk paprika, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, and black pepper together in a small bowl.
2. Drain shrimp in a colander for at least 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl lined with paper towels and dry shrimp for about 3 minutes. Remove paper towels from bowl and season shrimp with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon spice blend. Toss to coat shrimp with spice blend.
3. Heat vegetable oil a large heavy skillet over high heat until oil is smoking hot. Cook shrimp in the hot oil without stirring for 1 minute; stir, and cook 1 minute more.
4. Transfer shrimp to a large bowl. Let stand until juice forms in bowl. Strain shrimp juices into chicken stock to total 2 cups, adding more chicken stock if necessary.
5. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat until butter begins to turn tan at the edges. Saute onion, celery, and green pepper in hot butter until softened, about 5 minutes. Pour in remaining spice blend.
6. Sprinkle flour into vegetable mixture and saute until combined, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cook until tomato juices begin to brown on bottom of pan, about 3 minutes. Whisk stock into vegetable mixture, stirring until smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened and reduced to a gravy consistency, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Season with salt to taste.
7. Stir shrimp into etouffee sauce; let simmer until shrimp are cooked all the way through and no longer translucent, about 1 minute.
8. Garnish with green onions and a dusting of cayenne pepper. Pour over rice in large, shallow bowls.
Turkey pot pie like you have never tasted before. It won't last long.. This was fantastic! So easy and quick to make. I used a bag of mixed veggies (corn, peas, carrots, greenbeans, lima beans) and everything else was per the recipe. Delicious. My whole family loved it and my Hubby ate seconds. Will definitely make this again!. For extra flavour and to preserve nutrients, simmer the vegetables in the broth instead of water. Of course, you don't discard the broth, you just whisk broth and vegetables into your onion and flour mixture:)
The delicous of Dad's Leftover Turkey Pot Pie is a blend of ingredients : 2/3 cup butter, 2/3 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup sliced celery, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 cups frozen peas and carrots, 4 cups cubed cooked turkey meat - light and dark meat mixed, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1 1/3 cups milk, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 3/4 cups chicken broth, 2 cups frozen green beans, 1/2 teaspoon celery seed, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 4 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts, 2/3 cup chopped onion
1 portion of Dad's Leftover Turkey Pot Pie contain nutrients 20.4 g, 651 mg, 65 mg, 539 calories , 39.5 g, 33.2 g
1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Watch Now
2. Place the peas and carrots, green beans, and celery into a saucepan; cover with water, bring to a boil, and simmer over medium-low heat until the celery is tender, about 8 minutes. Drain the vegetables in a colander set in the sink, and set aside. Watch Now
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and cook the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2/3 cup of flour, salt, black pepper, celery seed, onion powder, and Italian seasoning; slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk until the mixture comes to a simmer and thickens. Remove from heat; stir the cooked vegetables and turkey meat into the filling until well combined. Watch Now
4. Fit 2 pie crusts into the bottom of 2 9-inch pie dishes. Spoon half the filling into each pie crust, then top each pie with another crust. Pinch and roll the top and bottom crusts together at the edge of each pie to seal, and cut several small slits into the top of the pies with a sharp knife to release steam. Watch Now
5. Bake in the preheated oven until the crusts are golden brown and the filling is bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. If the crusts are browning too quickly, cover the pies with aluminum foil after about 15 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Watch Now